The two graphics in this post illustrate the differences in “Internet skills” before and after the training. The goals of the training were:
- to illustrate to our senior residents the practical benefits of accessing the Internet and getting online
- to train seniors in the foundation skills for using the Internet
- to assess their skills at the end of training
- to reward the seniors completing the training and passing the assessment with a laptop computer and up to a free year of Internet service from the building’s broadband network through August 31, 2012
- to encourage residents to sign up for and use the free Internet service
- to sign on for a paid Internet service at the end of the BTOP program.
Above are the results we found in the self-assessment of Internet skills before awareness raising and the training programs that took place for seniors in 23 low-income housing facilities in northern Illinois.
We’ve made some preliminary comments on what the data might mean. What do you think?